The Respiratory Compromise Institute (RCI)
is an alliance of 12 professional medical societies and interested healthcare providers that have mobilized to define the state of Respiratory Compromise and educate the medical community so that the onset of respiratory compromise can be detected to mitigate respiratory failure and arrest.
Together, we aim to elevate awareness surrounding this respiratory state and support the use of monitoring tools and treatments already available, so healthcare professionals can help reduce the incidence of Respiratory Compromise.
Compromise Institute (RCI)
was formally constituted in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2015 and we have obtained our 501(c)(3) tax status as a nonprofit organization.
The Institute was formalized by the National Association for Medical Direction of Respiratory Care (NAMDRC) as a follow-up to a two day multi society conference that focused on a definition of respiratory compromise, approaches to education of the medical community and the general public, and research opportunities that would assist the broad medical community to address respiratory compromise in varied settings, including the hospital, nursing homes, and the home.
The Clinical Advisory Committee is an important component of the Institute and includes representatives appointed by key medical societies. While each society retains total discretion to adopt and support varied activities of the Institute, the scope of society support clearly signals the importance of this issue.
What are the goals of the Respiratory Compromise Institute?
The institute was formed to better define respiratory compromise and explore the potential for improved solutions to reduce preventable harm and deaths. The institute is comprised of a coalition of representatives and thought leaders from multiple physician, nursing, respiratory therapist, and patient safety organizations with support from industry sources. Our objectives are to raise awareness, provide education, and encourage research of RC.
Clinical Advisory Committee Roster
- Tim Myers, RRT, American Association for Respiratory Care
- Brent Dunworth, DNP, American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
- Todd Slesinger, MD, American College of Emergency Physicians
- Allen Gustin, MD, American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Adam Buettner, RRT, Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists
- Thomas Fuhrman, MD, CHEST/American College of Chest Physicians
- Tim Morris, MD, National Association for Medical Direction of Respiratory Care
- Donna Bond, RN, CCNS, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Michael Levy, MD, National Association of EMS Physicians
- Carl Haas, MLS, RRT-ACCS, National Board for Respiratory Care
- Michael Wong, JD, Physician-Patient Alliance for Health & Safety
- Peter Gay, MD, Society of Anesthesia & Sleep Medicine
- Jeff Vender, MD, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Thomas Frederickson, MD, Society of Hospital Medicine
- Sid Braman, MD
- Gerry Criner, MD
- Barry Make, MD
- Neil MacIntyre, MD
- Steve Nathan, MD